Saturday, September 08, 2007

Incubus - Light Grenades


Alright, here goes nothing - my first CD review on Some Kind of Web Log. I recently got into Incubus after hearing "Dig" on the radio a lot, though I've known about them for a while. I gave in and bought Light Grenades, and it's a really good CD.

Incubus are known for their music that blends rock with elements of rap, funk, and sometimes progressive rock. Light Grenades is no different. It's very rockin', but that doesn't mean there's some of the slower, more accessible stuff too that they have been known for as well. My favorites are the aforementioned "Dig," a somewhat ambient, U2-ish ballad with some truly amazing and really deep lyrics (one of my favorite lines is "Remind me that we'll always have each other, when everything else is gone"), and "Anna Molly," my definite favorite song on the CD. "Anna Molly" is very fast paced with lots of crazy percussion (what I love to hear in music :D), and just the right amount of guitar. It spent #1 on the Modern Rock Tracks chart for several weeks and it deserved every single week on there, in my opinion. If you don't want to pick up the CD, at least give "Anna Molly" a listen. You may just change your mind.

Other standout tracks to me include the song, "Light Grenades," which is two minutes of pure classic Incubus: fast paced and explosive, it's the song I've listened to most in iTunes from this CD. It's amazing. "Rogues" is another great track, with some awesome guitar and great lyrics. "Earth to Bella," which is featured on this CD twice in different incarnations labeled Part One and Part Two offer somewhat of a softer break from the otherwise very rock-based songs on this CD. These two songs are very melodic and have beautiful acoustic guitar that, in Part One, suddenly explodes with bombarding electric guitar riffs before again relaxing back into acoustic guitar. It's pretty cool the ideas that Incubus comes up with in their music.

Overall I'd recommend Light Grenades to anyone that likes alternative rock music and wants to expand their horizons somewhat. Great job, Incubus. More blog entries coming after the break.

No comments: